The MSc Tourism & Hospitality Management program takes place over 3 terms. Thus, during the 1st term of the program, you will learn the Management Foundations and familiarize yourself with the tourism & hospitality industries.
In the 2nd term, you will be able to go deep into the different management strategies that tourism and hospitality firms currently implement. Moreover, you will work on a Company Consulting Project to put into practice what you have learned in class.
Finally, in the 3rd term of the MSc Tourism & Hospitality Management, you will need to work on your Master Thesis, supported by the TBS faculty. Additionally, you will have the chance to undertake a 4-to-6 month internship in a renowned national or international company.
Throughout the whole course, you will benefit from our Soft Skills Certificate and the Company Visits Program.
*Non-contractual information. Courses are subject to change every academic year.
Marketing & Hospitality Overview
This academic block of the MSc Tourism & Hospitality Management program is divided into 5 modules, designed to provide you with sound fundamentals in management and the tourism & hospitality industries.
You will learn to systematically gather and analyze qualitative and quantitative data about issues relating to products and services. This module is intended to understand the process that links firms and customers through information. The goal is to identify and assess how changing elements of the marketing mix will have an impact on customers and their behavior.
- Market Research
- Big Data & Business Analytics
- Marketing Arithmetic: Data Analysis for Marketing Decisions
Given the importance of hospitality and tourism for many economies today, this module of the MSc tourism management is aimed at familiarizing you with the main features of this industry.
- Introduction to Hospitality, Tourism, Travel & Transportation & Entertainment Industries
- Getting to Know the MICE Industry
- Insights from Academic Research in Hospitality & Tourism
This module is designed to provide you with the skills needed to manage a hospitality business unit.
- Hospitality Regulations, Operations & Cost Control
- Human Resources & Revenue Management
- Food & Beverage Management
- Hospitality Project
During this module of the Master of Science in Tourism and Hospitality program, you will learn to communicate strong value propositions and drive customer engagement.
- Communication Theory & Strategy
- Integrated Communication Mix
- Digital Communication
- Managing a 360º Communication Plan & Budget
This module will provide you with valuable research and business qualified skills to achieve remarkable performance in tourism and hospitality.
- Introduction to Academic Research Methodology in Marketing
- IT Skills (Excel, Photoshop, iMovie, etc.)
Hospitality Business Development
This academic block is divided into 4 modules based on the integration of management into the tourism & hospitality sectors.
The convergence of technologies and the rapid changes in competitive environments have made it increasingly difficult for firms to compete and innovate themselves. In this context, firms need to specialize while at the same time collaborate with others to complement their resources and skills. The main goal of this unit of the master’s in tourism management is to understand how firms design business and marketing strategies to create value.
- Business & Marketing Strategy
- Brand Strategy & Brand Equity
- Finance Controlling & Value-Based Management
- Supply Chain Management
This module of this MSc in hospitality management will equip you with the skills to identify, analyze, and act on key operational and environmental variables while encouraging their creativity and critical thinking.
- Services Marketing & Experiential Consumption
- Customer Relationship Management
- Methods for Creation of Guest Experiences
- Business Simulation Game: Hotel & Restaurant Management
In this module, you will be provided with a comprehensive understanding of tourism and hospitality that will allow you to address the challenges of tomorrow.
- Business Ethics & Sustainability / Circular Economy
- International Marketing
- Innovation Management
- Sustainable Hospitality & Tourism
- Innovation & Emerging Trends
- Event Management & Tourism
- Marketing Research in Practice: Writing a Business Case
- Professional Hospitality Career Path Guidelines
Soft Skills Certificate
This certificate allows you to develop the management and leadership skills you need while improving your relational and behavioral abilities to make the most of your career in the tourism & hospitality industries. This certificate is the result of a collaboration between 26 lecturers and professionals in leadership and management, together with TBS Career Starter.
This subject offers 9 key skills to help you with team management and to get the most out of your career:
- Effective communication
- Lifelong learning
Leadership & Management
- Creating an inspiring vision
- Team leadership
- Responsible decision-making
- Managing interpersonal relations
- Building trust and creating the right workplace atmosphere
- Effective influencing
TBS Career Starter offers this module to help you discover your hidden talents and make the right decisions to move forwards in your career.
Through lectures, workshops, personal tests, and coaching sessions, expert professionals will help you take the first step in your career, asking the right questions so you choose the internship or job that is the best fit for you.
- Coaching: We will help you define your skills, strengths, and areas for improvement. Personality tests and individual coaching are just some of the tools we use to integrate self-knowledge with your aspirations and career goals.
- Personal Branding: CV-building and e-portfolio workshops are offered to students, so you can highlight your experiences and skills to future employers.
Company Consulting Mission
While you are studying the master’s degree in tourism and hospitality management, you will have the chance to put your consulting abilities to the test in a two-week, hands-on consultancy assignment!
A TBS partner company will send a letter of engagement to your master’s class in relation to a current strategic challenge.
Students will have held from TBS professors as they build on a strategic plan to assess the company’s competitive position. They will then come up with strategic and operational recommendations to meet the challenges facing the company.
This practical exercise offers you the chance to implement the skills and knowledge you have learned over the course of the MSc Tourism & Hospitality Management program.
TBS partner companies that have worked with students during previous academic years include:
- Aerospace Valley
- Cap Gemini
- Comtesse du Barry
- Continental Automotive
- Mars Petfoods
- Rockwell & Collins
Company Visits Program
As part of the course in the business school, you will have the opportunity to make in-house visits to different tourism & hospitality companies, so you can know how they operate first-hand. Each visit will have a direct link to the subjects and projects for the MSc Tourism & Hospitality Management program.
During previous years student visits included trips to some of the following companies, among others:
- Mandarin Hotel
You will be asked to write an individual dissertation on a current management issue in the tourism & hospitality industries from an academic or professional perspective. This dissertation will make a contribution to the study, analysis, formalization, and abstraction of the identified issue. The essay should include the aspects below:
- Motivation: A justification of your choice of the research topic
- Resourcefulness: The ability to start and conceptualize research
- Creativity & common sense: Demonstrably structured and logical methodology
- Cross-functionality: Clear multidimensional approach to problem-solving
You must submit a suitable master’s dissertation in order to graduate.
You will be given the chance to work as an intern at a company in Spain or abroad over a 4-to-6-month period. In contrast to other masters in hospitality management, in this TBS master, you do not need to complete the internship in order to graduate from the master’s course.
However, at TBS we encourage our students to complete an internship to supplement their education with professional experience in tourism and hospitality, as it offers a boost to professional integration.
Students who complete an internship will be awarded 10 additional ECTS credits for the new skills they have learned.
How do I find an internship?
The TBS Career Starter service offers support to develop your skills and gives you the professional tools you need to find the right internship to suit your career. You will receive individual coaching to ensure you make the most of your time as an intern.
It is not always easy to find an internship as the task requires perseverance, autonomy, and initiative. You will receive support for this at Career Starter workshops, which will help boost your employability as you apply for internships.
Over previous academic years, students from master’s programs have completed internships at some of the following companies and organizations: